Applications for the 2013-2014 program are now closed
Please sign up for our email updates and Like our Facebook Page to stay informed and learn when we will be accepting applications for the 2015 class.
Applicants must be women who are registered Democrats and reside in Maryland
Emerge Maryland will select up to 20 women who meet the criteria listed below and who we believe have the potential to be political leaders.
Emerge embraces diversity and encourages applications from all women regardless of age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, marital status, religious affiliation, sexual orientation or physical abilities.
Emerge Maryland will review completed applications and select finalists for the Program.
Finalists will be invited to attend an interview with a selection committee. From these interviews, the Program members will be selected.
Emerge Maryland’s program will run from October to April; seven months, one weekend day per month, two overnight two-day trainings, and one weekday to travel to Annapolis for a day at the State House, delivering approximately 75 hours of training. The success of the Emerge program depends upon commitment to the program's entire schedule by each participant. Some time outside of regularly scheduled seminars will be necessary for class preparation and homework.
The success of the Emerge Maryland Program depends upon commitment to the Program's entire schedule by each participant. Over the seven-month period, approximately 75 Program hours are scheduled. Some time outside of regularly scheduled seminars will be necessary for seminar preparation. Missed classes due to illness or family emergencies must be made up.
The days you will spend in our training program are days you are working on your campaign
You will learn how to do issue, opposition and self research; best practices in fundraising, networking and coalition building, honing your message, a field plan, stump speech, how to get endorsements, public speaking, dealing with the media and the press and much more! All of these skills will make you a better and more polished candidate, giving you an edge!
During the course of the seven-month Program, participants are also required to participate in fundraising activity that will benefit Emerge Maryland.
The first step to applying will include registration.
Once you have submitted your registration you'll receive instructions on how to sign back in to complete your application. It is highly recommended that you send the link requesting written references out ASAP. It is the applicants responsibility to see that the references are sent directly to Emerge Maryland. The full application includes:
• Updated Resume [The file must be a .doc/.docx or a PDF file format and be less than 2 mb]
• 4 Short Essay Questions (may be cut and pasted, see instructions)
• 2 References
• A non-refundable application fee
• Scholarship Information
Your application will be complete once you have:
1) completed the online application,
2) submitted the application fee, and
3) Emerge Maryland has received two letters of reference - please use the link provided in the application to obtain the letters. Do not have your letters sent through the mail. (see online application.)
You are responsible for ensuring that your application is complete.
Emerge Maryland seeks bright, self-motivated women who are committed to effective and ethical political leadership.
Criteria for selection include:
• evidence of political leadership experience or potential, and meaningful involvement in workplace or community;
• interest in pursuing political office;
• demonstrated ability to bring together disparate groups to achieve a goal;
• ability and desire to build effective networks;
• ability to articulate a personal political vision;
• demonstrated ability to inspire others;
• commitment to full participation and attendance requirements of the trainings.
We are here to help you, whether you are trying to decide if running for office is for you, or you need help completing your application, or you have questions about the program. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Diane Fink, Executive Director at 301-788-1661