Applications for the 2015 program are now closed.
Applicants must be women who are registered Democrats and reside in Maryland.
Please read all instructions below before proceeding to the application.
Emerge Maryland will select a limited number of women who meet the criteria listed below and who we believe have the potential to be political leaders.
Emerge embraces diversity and encourages applications from all women regardless of age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, marital status, religious affiliation, sexual orientation or physical abilities.
Emerge Maryland will review completed applications and select finalists for the program.
Finalists will be invited to attend an interview with a selection committee. From these interviews, the program members will be selected.
Emerge Maryland’s program will deliver approximately 75 hours of training. Your success in the Emerge program depends upon your commitment to the program's entire schedule. Some time outside of regularly scheduled seminars will be necessary for class preparation and homework.
The success of the Emerge Maryland Program depends upon commitment to the program's entire schedule by each participant. Over the six-month period, approximately 75 program hours are scheduled. Some time outside of regularly scheduled seminars will be necessary for seminar preparation.
You will learn best practices in fundraising, networking and coalition building, honing your message, writing a field plan and stump speech, how to get endorsements, public speaking, dealing with the media and the press and much more! All of these skills will make you a better and more polished candidate, giving you an edge!
During the course of the program, participants are also required to participate in fundraising activity that will benefit Emerge Maryland.
Attendance is mandatory
Arrival 8-8:30am. Dismissal varies, plan on 5:00pm
The first step to applying will include registration.
Once you have submitted your registration you'll receive instructions on how to sign back in to complete your application. It is recommended that you send the link requesting written references out ASAP. It is the applicants responsibility to see that the references are sent directly to Emerge Maryland. The full application includes:
• Updated Resume [The file must be a .doc/.docx or a PDF file format and be less than 2 mb]
• 4 Short Essay Questions (may be cut and pasted, see instructions)
• 2 References
• A non-refundable application fee of $35. An additional $50 will be charged for late applications submitted after midnight Oct. 1, 2014. No application will be accepted after the final deadline.
• Scholarship Information
Your application will be complete once you have:
1) completed the online application,
2) submitted the application fee, and
3) Emerge Maryland has received two letters of reference - please use the link provided in the application to obtain the letters. Do not have your letters sent through the mail. (see online application.)
You are responsible for ensuring that your application is complete. Your non-refundable application fee must be paid for your application to be considered. Send and email to firstname.lastname@example.org for the link to pay the application fee or mail a check to Emerge Maryland P.O. Box 185, Monrovia, MD 21770.
Participation in the Emerge Program requires a tution which includes material fees and meals. Please note that travel expenses are not included. There is another $500 obligation to be raised through each program members fundraising efforts for the program.
This money offsets, but does not nearly cover, the cost of Emerge Maryland’s out-of-pocket costs for providing the training sessions. Emerge Maryland believes that individual circumstances should NOT be a barrier to participation in the program. Partial financial aid may be awarded after admission to the program. This does not cover the fundraising requirement.
Selection Criteria (keep these in mind as you fill out the application)
Emerge Maryland seeks bright, self-motivated women who are committed to effective and ethical political leadership.
Criteria for selection include:
• evidence of political leadership experience or potential, and meaningful involvement in workplace or community;
• interest in pursuing political office;
• demonstrated ability to bring together disparate groups to achieve a goal;
• ability and desire to build effective networks;
• ability to articulate a personal political vision;
• demonstrated ability to inspire others;
• commitment to full participation and attendance requirements of the trainings.
We are here to help you, whether you are trying to decide if running for office is for you, or you need help completing your application, or you have questions about the program. Please contact us at email@example.com or call Diane Fink, Executive Director at 301-788-1661